Posts Tagged ‘dramatic’

On a trip to Ancient Olympia our group stopped at the beautiful mountain village to have a drink and enjoy the traditional surroundings.

D72_0024 SMALL_D72_0032 SMALL_

 

 

Vytina (Greek: Βυτίνα, Vytína) is a mountain village and a former municipality in Arcadia, Peloponnese, Greece. It is considered a traditional settlement. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Gortynia, of which it is a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 139.309 km2. The seat of the municipality was the village Vytina. The village is located at the foot of the mountain range Mainalo. The area produces marble, a variation called the Black of Vytina. Vytina is 10 km east of Levidi, 15 km northeast of Dimitsana and 24 km northwest of Tripoli. The Greek National Road 74 (Tripoli – Pyrgos) passes through Vytina. The ancient Arcadian city Methydrion was located near Vytina.

”FOLKLORE MUSEUM”

The Museum opened in 1986 and since 2000 it has been housed in a building given by the village’s former Mayor and maintained by the current Mayor.

DSC_0035 SMALL_

The Museum now works on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 to 5, the collections are categorized and the visitors are provided with informational material on every item, so that they are aware of each item’s history.

Among the items there are rural objects, traditional costumes and other things people used in their daily life, like tools and utensils.

However, there is still a maintenance problem, as none of the items has ever been maintained since the Museum opened its doors. In order to help solve this problem, students from the Technological Educational Institute of Athens do their internships at the Museum in order to help preserve the Greek cultural inheritance.

DSC_0083 SMALL_D72_0086 SMALL_DSC_0087 SMALL_DSC_0090 SMALL_

A beautiful traditional village surrounded by majestic mountains and forest that you ought to visit.

 

D72_9876-2D72_9883-2D72_9884-2

D72_7265 full_

D72_7289 full_-3

D72_7273 full_-2

A 3 Century Greek Flour Mill Business. Since 1782

18th Century

1782: Mr Zois Loulis builds a small water driven stone mill at Aetorahi in Ioannina.
The Loulis family fortune was destroyed and the mill was burned during the Turkish withdrawal in 1912.

20th Century

1912: After the Mill’s destruction four out of the nine sons of Mr Themistocles Loulis, the brothers Christos, Konstantinos, Nikos and Giorgos Loulis decided to settle in Volos.
In 1914 they purchased a share in the I. Xydis – N. Hadginikou Mill.

1917: The mill passed into the full ownership of the Themistocles Loulis brothers and developed into the largest Mill of its time in the Thessaly region.

1926: A fire destroyed the Loulis Mill. A few months later they began to build a new mill at the same location.

1927: The Loulis Mill was converted into a Society Anonymous with Mr Christos Loulis as the Chairman.

1928: The new Mill commenced operations.

1928: The foundations were laid at Agiou Georgiou bay in Keratsini Piraeus, which was then the largest mill in the Greek State boasting the latest technology of the time. The major shareholders were the Symeonoglou, Voudouroglou and Karaiosifoglou families and the Corporate Name was AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS. The mill was completed in 1929 and was described as a grand project of its time. In a very short period of time the AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS became the leaders of the Greek Flour Industry.

1951: The then competitors AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. and KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. were listed on the Athens Stock Exchange in the same year with the serial numbers of 27 and 28 respectively.

1952: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. established the first semolina mill in Greece, which pioneered the pasta production field.

1961: Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis assumed the company’s management.

1965: The AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. Company purchased automatic packaging machines and began selling flour in small packages – one kilo and half kilo packages – which were distributed to the general stores and Super Markets of the time. The AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS brand  is the only flour at the time that is available in a packaged form.

1969: The KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. branch in Attica commenced operations. Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis took the first steps to relocate the Mill with the purchase of a property in the Volos Industrial Region.

1975: Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis passed away. His wife, Mrs Evi Ν. Loulis became the company’s Chairman and his son Konstantinos the General Manager.

1977: Construction commenced on the new KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. mill in the Volos Industrial Region, which commenced production in late 1978 using the latest technology of its time.

1988: The total milling output by KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. placed the company into 2nd position in the Greek Flour Industry from the 12th position that it held in 1978.

1991: Mr Konstantinos Ν. Loulis took the first steps in relocating the Mill from the Volos Industrial Region with the purchase of a 100,000 m2 beach site at Pagasitikos Bay (Sourpi Bay).

1993: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. established the Macedonia branch, which was based at Kalohori in Thessaloniki.

1995: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. purchased the Simitzis Mill in Kavala and proceeded with a radical renovation of the buildings and the plant engineering.

1996: Following continuous investments, AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. completed the modernisation of its facilities by reaching a total milling capacity of 800 tonnes per 24 hours.

1996: The KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. Company, after purchasing Simitzis Mill in Kavala, proceeded with a radical renovation of the buildings and the plant engineering and put it into service.

1997: The AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. Company proceeded to the expansion of its activities into the developing Balkan nations by purchasing the majority share of the TITAN plant in Bucharest and MOPAN in Transylvania in Romania, which were the 2 largest factories producing flour and bakery products in Romania.

1998: After 7.5 years of amassing the necessary certificates and permits, KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. finally received permission to commence with the construction of the new harbour side mill at Pagasitikos Bay.

1999: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. took over 52 % of the shares in the AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A Company via the Athens Stock Exchange.
A distribution and bakery products centre was opened at Tirana in Albania.

21st Century

2000: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. purchased the Sofia Mills in Bulgaria and undertook their management.

2001: A major project was completed. The foundations were laid for a new pilot industrial plant at Cernica in Bucharest, which was comprised of a pasta factory, a bread factory, a flour mill and a cereal production plant (corn flakes).

2001: The Company’s name changed from KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. to LOULIS MILLS S.A.
The flour production commenced on the new harbour side facilities at Sourpi in Magnesia after completing the relocation of the production lines from the Volos Industrial Region.

2002: The production and distribution of the consolidated companies’ products for LOULIS MILLS S.A. and AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. commenced from LOULIS MILLS S.A.

2003: The construction of a new state of the art Mill commenced at Tirana in Albania.

2004: Flour production commenced at the company’s new factory at Tirana in Albania.

2007: A share package was transferred, which represented 60 % of the share capital in the subsidiary companies at Romania and Bulgaria to the Leipnik-Lundeburger Invest Beteiligungs A.G. Company

2008: The balance of the shares held by LOULIS MILLS S.A. in the subsidiary companies at Romania and Bulgaria were transferred to the Austrian Company LLI EUROMILLS GmbH via the Stock Exchanges at Sofia and Bucharest respectively.

2010: The company passed on to the 7th generation when its management was assumed by Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis.

2010: The first Organic Mill in the Balkans commenced operations at the Sourpi facilities.

2011: Despite the recession in the Greek economy, the company invests in Greece, by establishing a state of the art flour mill with a capacity of 300 tonnes per 24 hours at Keratsini in Attica.

Source: Loulismills 

 

D72_7200

D72_6948 full_-2