Posts Tagged ‘sky’

D72_0464 SMALL_

D72_7265 full_

D72_7289 full_-3

D72_7273 full_-2

A 3 Century Greek Flour Mill Business. Since 1782

18th Century

1782: Mr Zois Loulis builds a small water driven stone mill at Aetorahi in Ioannina.
The Loulis family fortune was destroyed and the mill was burned during the Turkish withdrawal in 1912.

20th Century

1912: After the Mill’s destruction four out of the nine sons of Mr Themistocles Loulis, the brothers Christos, Konstantinos, Nikos and Giorgos Loulis decided to settle in Volos.
In 1914 they purchased a share in the I. Xydis – N. Hadginikou Mill.

1917: The mill passed into the full ownership of the Themistocles Loulis brothers and developed into the largest Mill of its time in the Thessaly region.

1926: A fire destroyed the Loulis Mill. A few months later they began to build a new mill at the same location.

1927: The Loulis Mill was converted into a Society Anonymous with Mr Christos Loulis as the Chairman.

1928: The new Mill commenced operations.

1928: The foundations were laid at Agiou Georgiou bay in Keratsini Piraeus, which was then the largest mill in the Greek State boasting the latest technology of the time. The major shareholders were the Symeonoglou, Voudouroglou and Karaiosifoglou families and the Corporate Name was AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS. The mill was completed in 1929 and was described as a grand project of its time. In a very short period of time the AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS became the leaders of the Greek Flour Industry.

1951: The then competitors AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. and KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. were listed on the Athens Stock Exchange in the same year with the serial numbers of 27 and 28 respectively.

1952: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. established the first semolina mill in Greece, which pioneered the pasta production field.

1961: Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis assumed the company’s management.

1965: The AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. Company purchased automatic packaging machines and began selling flour in small packages – one kilo and half kilo packages – which were distributed to the general stores and Super Markets of the time. The AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS brand  is the only flour at the time that is available in a packaged form.

1969: The KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. branch in Attica commenced operations. Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis took the first steps to relocate the Mill with the purchase of a property in the Volos Industrial Region.

1975: Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis passed away. His wife, Mrs Evi Ν. Loulis became the company’s Chairman and his son Konstantinos the General Manager.

1977: Construction commenced on the new KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. mill in the Volos Industrial Region, which commenced production in late 1978 using the latest technology of its time.

1988: The total milling output by KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. placed the company into 2nd position in the Greek Flour Industry from the 12th position that it held in 1978.

1991: Mr Konstantinos Ν. Loulis took the first steps in relocating the Mill from the Volos Industrial Region with the purchase of a 100,000 m2 beach site at Pagasitikos Bay (Sourpi Bay).

1993: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. established the Macedonia branch, which was based at Kalohori in Thessaloniki.

1995: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. purchased the Simitzis Mill in Kavala and proceeded with a radical renovation of the buildings and the plant engineering.

1996: Following continuous investments, AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. completed the modernisation of its facilities by reaching a total milling capacity of 800 tonnes per 24 hours.

1996: The KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. Company, after purchasing Simitzis Mill in Kavala, proceeded with a radical renovation of the buildings and the plant engineering and put it into service.

1997: The AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. Company proceeded to the expansion of its activities into the developing Balkan nations by purchasing the majority share of the TITAN plant in Bucharest and MOPAN in Transylvania in Romania, which were the 2 largest factories producing flour and bakery products in Romania.

1998: After 7.5 years of amassing the necessary certificates and permits, KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. finally received permission to commence with the construction of the new harbour side mill at Pagasitikos Bay.

1999: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. took over 52 % of the shares in the AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A Company via the Athens Stock Exchange.
A distribution and bakery products centre was opened at Tirana in Albania.

21st Century

2000: KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. purchased the Sofia Mills in Bulgaria and undertook their management.

2001: A major project was completed. The foundations were laid for a new pilot industrial plant at Cernica in Bucharest, which was comprised of a pasta factory, a bread factory, a flour mill and a cereal production plant (corn flakes).

2001: The Company’s name changed from KYLINDROMYLOS LOULIS S.A. to LOULIS MILLS S.A.
The flour production commenced on the new harbour side facilities at Sourpi in Magnesia after completing the relocation of the production lines from the Volos Industrial Region.

2002: The production and distribution of the consolidated companies’ products for LOULIS MILLS S.A. and AGIOU GEORGIOU MILLS S.A. commenced from LOULIS MILLS S.A.

2003: The construction of a new state of the art Mill commenced at Tirana in Albania.

2004: Flour production commenced at the company’s new factory at Tirana in Albania.

2007: A share package was transferred, which represented 60 % of the share capital in the subsidiary companies at Romania and Bulgaria to the Leipnik-Lundeburger Invest Beteiligungs A.G. Company

2008: The balance of the shares held by LOULIS MILLS S.A. in the subsidiary companies at Romania and Bulgaria were transferred to the Austrian Company LLI EUROMILLS GmbH via the Stock Exchanges at Sofia and Bucharest respectively.

2010: The company passed on to the 7th generation when its management was assumed by Mr Nikolaos Κ. Loulis.

2010: The first Organic Mill in the Balkans commenced operations at the Sourpi facilities.

2011: Despite the recession in the Greek economy, the company invests in Greece, by establishing a state of the art flour mill with a capacity of 300 tonnes per 24 hours at Keratsini in Attica.

Source: Loulismills 

 

In the island of Salamina exist two beautifully pine forests. The first is the Faneromeni forest that is found in the north-western side of island and is offered for running, bike and other activities.

D72_6455 SMALL_

D72_6457 SMALL_

D72_6458 SMALL_

D72_4778

 

 

d72_2820small-jpeg

Ο Ραψομμάτης (Τοπική Κοινότητα Ραψομμάτη – Δημοτική Ενότητα ΜΕΓΑΛΟΠΟΛΗΣ), ανήκει στον δήμο ΜΕΓΑΛΟΠΟΛΗΣ της Περιφερειακής Ενότητας ΑΡΚΑΔΙΑΣ που βρίσκεται στην Περιφέρεια Πελοποννήσου, σύμφωνα με τη διοικητική διαίρεση της Ελλάδας όπως διαμορφώθηκε με το πρόγραμμα “Καλλικράτης”.

Η επίσημη ονομασία είναι “ο Ραψομμάτης”. Έδρα του δήμου είναι η Μεγαλόπολη και ανήκει στο γεωγραφικό διαμέρισμα Πελοποννήσου.

Κατά τη διοικητική διαίρεση της Ελλάδας με το σχέδιο “Καποδίστριας”, μέχρι το 2010, ο Ραψομμάτης ανήκε στο Τοπικό Διαμέρισμα Ραψομμάτη, του πρώην Δήμου ΜΕΓΑΛΟΠΟΛΗΣ του Νομού ΑΡΚΑΔΙΑΣ.

Ο Ραψομμάτης έχει υψόμετρο 553 μέτρα από την επιφάνεια της θάλασσας, σε γεωγραφικό πλάτος 37,3803848414 και γεωγραφικό μήκος 22,1921133683. Οδηγίες για το πώς θα φτάσετε στον Ραψομμάτη θα βρείτε εδώ.

 

 

 

Some photos from Chiliadou, Nafpaktos Greece. The last days of summer, farewell till next year.

d72_2603small-jpeg

d72_2609small-jpeg

d72_2610small-jpeg

The Byzantine Church of St Nikolas is situated in the village of Ano Gerakari.

This location has a fantastic view which spreads to the surrounding hills and the plain as far as the castle of Zakynthos.

The sleepy village of Ano Gerakari is still mostly untouched by tourism and is easily reached from the resorts of Alykes, Alikanas and Tsilivi.

d72_2505small-jpeg-2d72_2501small-jpegd72_2502small-jpegd72_2506small-jpegd72_2528small-jpegdsc_2513small-jpeg

 

d72_2535small-jpeg

d72_2522small-jpeg

And Me…

DSC_1496Full Jpeg

The following is a free translation of a part taken from the work of academician Spyros Melas, “Burning Seas”, published by the “Embros” of Athens, in 1940.

Melas begins by describing the bell tower of the church of Panagia, the Megalohari, whose bell he resembles “as the bell that tolled the national alarm heard to the ends of the earth, bringing the sad news of the dastardly attack on ELLI to all Greeks”, and resembles the Holy Church of the Virgin Mary as the strategic headquarters of the soul of the Greek nation.

A god-maiden always has guided and advised the Greeks during their great wars. Athena stood by our ancient heroes. Our troops and our ships are guided in this war for freedom…. from this island by the Megalohari of Tinos… from this island flew victory with unbelievable wings, to the snows of Trebesina, to the white-caps of the Ionian Sea and to the blue and white seas.

Standing upon a mountain-side in Tinos, just across from Delos, the other holy ancient island, it must have been about three hours before a beautiful sun-rise. When it finally became light I saw the all-white homes of our city, and began to recognize the silhouettes of the pilgrims who were walking slowly towards the hill… to the church. I could see the golden light coming from the church, from the candles of those who had stay there all night praying along with their sick and the lame and the blind, praying for a curing miracle.

By now the dawn had spread a rose light upon the east and I could see the proud ship approaching Tinos, to take part in the holy celebrations. The ship quickly made a wide gracious arc and came to a stop dropping anchor just outside the harbor, five hundred and fifty meters from the green marker light of the entrance. Every ship has its own destiny…

A gentle livas, the warm wind that comes from the hot sands of North Africa, had began to blow and to caress the silhouettes of the sailors on the deck. The time was 06:30 when a merry bugle’s sound was heard. It was the command to begin the deployment of the flags. All at once the ship was covered with a triangle of its grand flag display. It was a happy time upon ELLI. The decision had been made as to what sailors would be taking part in the honorary guard for the procession of the Holy icon, and they had withdrawn in the stern quarters. With them were 8 Petty Officers who had requested permission from their Captain to allow them to carry the Holy Icon taking turns, four at a time. The rest of the crew had began to wash the decks and arrange tools and machinery they had use during the voyage.

The time is 06:45 and the engine noise of a plane is heard to be approaching ELLI. An Italian spotter plane, with its markings painted over so it will not be recognized, approaches from an easternly direction, flying at 1200 meters. Within moments the gun crews are in their battle stations. Gunnery Petty Officer Sigalas and the Warrant Officer in charge of the crew of the Skoda guns receive the order from the bridge to train their gun on the airplane but to hold fire. The plane makes two circles over the harbor of Tinos. The crowds thinking that it is a Greek plane raising their arms and waive them in salutation. The plane continues its flight towards the West reducing its altitude and eventually it disappears in the horizon.

No one ever thought that the spotter plane will be reporting to a submarine that was making ready to begin its deadly attack… on a Holy day… a day dedicated to the Holy Virgin… the 15th of August 1940.

The time is 08:25. On deck is the Officer of the Day, Ensign Hors, the Petty Officer on duty, a sailor standing guard by the ship’s ladder, a messenger, the two gun crews and some of the sailors who had been assigned to take part in the honorary guard by the Holy Icon of the Virgin Mary.

On deck also at that time, was Lieutenant jg. Kyriazopoulos, and Petty Officers Katsaitis, Rakkas, Tsirigotis, Papadopoulos, Kokkoris, Syrigos and Papanikolaou. The Petty Officers had approached the Lieutenant to ask him if he could do them a favor… to light a candle for them, if he was to go ashore… He did not have the time to answer because at that moment voices were heard. They were the voices of the Signal-men from the ship’s bridge coming loud… On-Coming TORPEDO from Starboard… the last syllables were covered by a tremendous thunder and explosion… 15th of August, 1940.

There were four torpedoe shots fired by the submerged submarine. One found its aim amid-ship. The other two missed their target and hit the harbor barrier rocks, exploding there. The fourth torpedo changed course and headed out to sea.

The torpedo that hit ELLI exploded exactly below one of its boilers, the one that had been maintained active. Due to the proximity of the explosion to the boiler-room, the active boiler exploded and its supply of oil caught fire. This left the vessel without means of propulsion, however its crew with the help of the nearby anchored merchant ships attempted to beach the ship in shallow waters. Unfortunately the spreading fire soon forced the crew and officers to abandon ship which began to sink at about 09:45. About half an hour later, ELLI the proud ship, was covered by the sea in its watery grave.

The ship’s skipper, Captain Hatzopoulos RHN, reported to the Ministry of the Navy the following list of victims:

Dead:           Engine Chief Petty Officer Papanicolaou

Missing:        Engine Petty Officer Mantouvalos, Firemen Sailors
		Anastelopoulos, Grivas and Bonos

Wounded:        Petty Officer Electrician Kimoulis, Chief P.O. Engine
		Papadopoulos, P.O. Engine Syrigos, P.O. Engine Eugenopoulos,
		P.O. Torpedoes Rakkas, P.O. Fireman Kokoras, P.O. Signalman
		Anagnostopoulos, Warrant Officer Fireman Mammis, Chief P.O.
		Bossn's mate Tsirigotis, Sailors Argyriou, Aggeloudis,
		Anthoulis, Panagos, Hatzispyrou, Mantzouranis, Apostolakos,
		Synodinos, Pallis, Dendrinos, Giannakis,Mavromatis and
		Hatzidemetriou.

Source:http://www.greece.org/poseidon/work/vessels/elli.html